Wednesday, February 10, 2016

I "Chews" You, Valentine



I'm going to admit something here...

I'm pretty bad at getting anything done ahead of time when it comes to my kids' seasonal classroom parties, which leaves us scrambling to find something that can easily (and cheaply) be done at the last minute.

Tomorrow is my three year old's preschool Valentine's party, followed by my 4th and 6th graders parties on Friday... and so naturally I finally got around to getting something put together today.

If you, like me, need an adorable last minute Valentines Day idea... look no further. Unless you are local to me and then you'll have to do something else. Cause my kids are doing this gumball idea this year.

Here's what you'll need:


1.) Large package of gumballs. (The brand name bag I bought at a well known big box store has 680 gumballs which means there'll be plenty for three kids classroom parties.)
2.) Ziploc bags
3.) Stapler
4.) Scissors (or heart shaped die cuts)
5.) Marker/Ink Pen
6.) Paper


Let's admit it... there have been times when you've gone to the store babywearing the infant, two kids crying in the cart, one begging for every brand name sugary cereal they see, and one asking to "borrow" money for something they've seen that they just HAVE TO own and they promise to pay you back. No? Just me? Well, let's pretend you've found yourself, like me, frazzled and rushed at the store and you MEAN to grab Ziploc sandwich bags but when you get home you see that you've accidentally grabbed a whole box of 120 snack bags. SNACK BAGS? who uses those anyway? what could you put in there? four pretzels? And you'd rather cut your own leg off than have to make a return trip to the store, am I right? Well, I've got the perfect use for those no good snack bags.

The first thing you'd need to do is divide number of gum balls in your bulk bag by the number of valentines you need to make. For us, I bought a bag of 680 gumballs and I need enough for roughly 47 kids. That's 14 gumballs each... but to leave room for error in case I need to make more for some reason, I won't put the whole 14 per bag but maybe 12 instead.

Next I cut a heart out of colored paper. This is easiest done if you have a cricut machine, or something similar, but can just as easily be cut by hand. If you have a bigger budget you could also buy a pack of already cut heart die cuts. It's totally up to you.

Write 'I "CHEWS" YOU, Valentine' on each heart. If you didn't want to cut out hearts or write on each one, you could print up some strips of paper. It's totally up to you, your budget, and how much time you want to spend putting it together. Being a hand letterer, of course I'm going to personally write the messages on my 3 year olds valentines. And I'll have my 4th and 6th grader write theirs out. I think writing each one gives it a more personal touch... and is great handwriting practice for kids.

Staple the message to the snack bag after you've washed your hands (of course!) and put the desired number of gumballs in and zipped it up, and VOILA there you have it. Easy Peasy.... not too expensive and can be done last minute. I already had the snack bags at my house so for this project I only had to buy a bag of gumballs which was $7 and change. Not too bad for 47 valentines!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips