Friday, January 8, 2016

It "Just Happened" That...


The other day, I was in my car listening to KLOVE, and the song My Story by Big Daddy Weave came on. I've heard that song a million times, but for some reason that day it took on a whole new meaning for me.





If you're not familiar with the song, look it up on YouTube... but the lyrics go like this...

"If I told you my story, you would hear hope.

If I told you my story, you would hear love that never gave up

If I told you my story, you would hear life... but it wasn't mine

If I should speak then let it be

Of the grace that is greater than all my sin
Of when justice was served and where mercy wins
Of the kindness of Jesus that draws me in

TO TELL YOU MY STORY IS TO TELL OF HIM

This is my story this is my song praising my Savior all the day long."

The reason I've told the story of the wreck, in detail,  is because of the events of what happened on and surrounding December 15th. I used to believe in coincidence, but when I look back on the web of events that was woven together, on that night and in the days following, I can't not give God ALL of the credit for Jason being alive today. I don't believe for one second that ANYTHING that happened that night was coincidence. I don't believe that anything "just happened to happen." I believe with all of my heart that God worked everything out the way that He did ON PURPOSE! I believe that God put specific people in specific places with specific tools, and if you don't believe in God, I pray that you will after reading this. I don't know how anyone couldn't... because to tell you our story is to tell of HIM.




A few days after the wreck, the tow truck company contacted me asking for permission to post pictures of Jason's totaled truck on their social media. The pictures I've attached to this post are the pictures they posted. A man I didn't know commented on the post saying that he was the first to arrive at the wreck and that he was the person who called 911. I replied to his comment telling Him that I'd like to talk to him, and shortly after he commented back with his phone number! Two days later, I left my husbands side at the hospital for the first time in five days to make a trip home, regroup, and see my kids. On the way home, I stopped by the yard where the totaled truck is being kept and I took a few minutes by myself there looking at the truck. I even climbed into the backseat and just thanked God over and over for sparing Jason's life. Having seen the truck now in person I just don't know how he wasn't crushed to death. Leaving there, I decided to call then man who had called 911 and thank him for stopping and helping. Little did I know, he did much more than just help. He saved Jason's life... and I still get chills when I recall the details. I told him I was getting ready to drive by and stop at the wreck site, and he asked me if he could join me there. YES!! This man's name is Daryl

I'm not in the medical field and have never known (or cared) much about blood pressure. All I knew was that any time I go to the hospital, I'm told I'm a poster child for perfect blood pressure...and I couldn't even tell you what that meant. Until now. Now, I know that a "perfect" blood pressure is 120/80. Now, I know that the top number is called the "systolic" rate, and that it measures the pressure in the arteries when the heart beats (when the heart muscle contracts). The bottom number is called the "diastolic" rate, and it measures the pressure in the arteries between heartbeats (when the heart muscle is resting between beats and refilling with blood). So like I said... a "perfect" systolic (top number) reading is 120. When the ambulance crew arrived and took Jason's blood pressure... his top number was 50. FIFTY!!!! I was told by one of his nurses in the ICU (named Becky!) that a systolic reading that low meant that he was in shock and his body was trying to shut down. This is the reason why no one on the wreck site that night could look me in the eye. This is why no one was telling me how Jason was. This is why later, I found out that no one on the scene that night expected him to live. He was dying!

The significance of all of this is this:

From the point on the highway that Jason got hit to town is probably a good eight miles. It's an often traveled highway, but not crazy busy, and often, you can go the whole way to town and not meet another vehicle. But that night, Daryl "just happened" to be on his way home from work. He "just happened" to notice a little Chevy Blazer flying down a perpendicular gravel road and knew he'd meet that vehicle at the top of the hill he was driving when the Blazer should be stopping at a stop sign. But when he got to the top of the hill, the Blazer wasn't at the stop sign coming off of the gravel road onto the highway, so he cautiously kept driving and "just happened" to see the collision between the two vehicles around a corner through some trees. He didn't see the actual collision since it was dark but what he describes that he saw was like someone had a flashlight and was waving it all around in some crazy light show. At the time, he wondered what in the world it was, but now he knows it was the moment the two vehicles collided. I believe with all my heart that God knew Jason would need immediate help, and Daryl was nine seconds behind that wreck. Far enough away to keep him from being in the middle of it, but close enough to stop immediately, call 911, and start helping Jason.

Daryl told the 911 dispatcher that Jason was going into shock and the dispatcher asked Daryl if he had any blankets in his vehicle. Would you believe that Daryl normally doesn't travel with blankets in his truck, but "just happened" to have a couple that he had used to hide Christmas gifts under that he had recently bought for his kids?? So he ran to his truck, grabbed the blankets and ran back to cover Jason up. That simple act was CRUCIAL to Jason's life being saved until an ambulance crew could get there and get some fluids in him until he could get flown to the hospital where he received a blood transfusion.

Other "God Winks":
* The guy Jason car pools with called our house phone. He'd never called our house before but "just happened" to have the number. This phone call was my first heads up that something was wrong and got me in my car going to look for Jason.
* It is my understanding that when accidents happen, police rotate who they call for towing services. It "just happened" that our good friend Jeff was next on the rotation and called to Jason's wreck. I don't know if professionally he's "allowed" or "should" have called me like he did to tell me that Jason had been in a wreck... but I'm SO glad that he did because otherwise I didn't get another call until Jason was in the emergency room at the hospital he'd been flown to and if I hadn't gone looking for him, and if Jeff hadn't called... I would have assumed Jason was at work just fine like normal and would never have known about the wreck as soon as I did. AND... the emergency room called my cell phone... WHICH DOESN'T GET SERVICE AT OUR HOUSE! So if the guy he car pools with hadn't called concerned and if I hadn't gone looking for Jason, I would have missed both the phone call from Jeff AND the emergency room!!

* Jason had been alternating between driving this big and high off the ground 2002 Chevy Silverado with a cattle guard on the front, and an older lower to the ground truck without a cattle guard. It "just happened" that he drove his big newer truck the night of the wreck. Recently, while driving, I saw a man driving a truck almost identical to Jason's... cattle guard and all, and I wanted to jump out and hug him and say "don't ever drive anything else! This truck saved my husband's life!" I'm going to insist that Jason gets the same truck again... or something similar. Jason is a loyal Chevy guy to the point that he has a Chevrolet tattoo AND he has a dog named Chevy! Ford drivers will occasionally give him a hard time and they'll go back and forth on who builds a better truck. I think Jason finally won that conversation! :)





























Now you tell me that was all a "coincidence"

"TO TELL YOU MY STORY IS TO TELL OF HIM"

It is my hope and prayer, that after reading this, you reevaluate "coincidences" in you own life and instead, see them as ways that God is communicating with you, letting you know that He's there, even in the small details of your day.

"This is my story this is my song praising my Savior all the day long."




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips