Friday, May 9, 2014

Mother's Days Past And Present

As Mother's Day approaches this weekend, I've been reflecting on Mother's Days past. Six years ago I posted this on my old blog: 
"This was my fourth Mother's Day and I have to say that it was the very very best one yet!!
It all started on Friday. Two of my good friends that I'm in an accountability group with had invited me to go to Omaha, Nebraska to see Beth Moore. I told them that there was no way that I could afford the conference ticket, travel and lodging expenses, and a babysitter for the weekend. Well, Mindi says to me that if I could arrange for a babysitter that she had someone who would pay for the rest!!!!! So, at THE last minute I got a college girl from church to watch the kids. We were going to drive to Nebraska. It's a four? five? hour drive. But, THE DAY BEFORE, Mindi tells us that we are flying. Her dad has a private plane that seats eight and he was going to have his pilot fly us up there. There were five of us total that all ended up flying to Nebraska together and the trip was only one hour as opposed to a five hour drive. I'd never flown in a private plane before and I'm here to tell ya I never want to fly commercial again!! I've been completely spoiled.

We get in the plane and take off and one of the girls, Jessica, hands me a giftbag. I thought it was a thank you gift for Mindi and so I was holding it while Jessica rooted around in her purse for her camera. I handed the bag to Mindi and Jessica says "what are you doing? That's for you." Inside was a card that read "happy mother's day! we love you mommy. Love, Levi and Audrey." and in the bag was a necklace. In the circle of girls I hang out with, they all have this particular necklace and I was the only one who didn't have one. Basically it's just a silver chain and then you buy separate rings to go on it and there are different rings that say different things. They bought three for me. Mine say 'son,' 'daughter,' and 'courage.'

 
The Beth Moore conference was EXCELLENT!!!!!!! I bawled my eyes out more than a few times. There were six THOUSAND women (ok, and a stray husband here and there that had been drug along) women in attendance at the conference. awesome! We got to sit in the second row from the front down on the floor which just happened to be right behind the hearing impaired section and I fell in love with one of the translators they had for the weekend. Seriously, I could not keep my eyes off of her. When she was signing the praise and worship I got goosebumps. I want to be able to do that! It is a passion of mine to fluently learn sign languge and use it as a ministry! (bet ya didn't know that about me, did ya?)
 
 
On the way home Saturday afternoon, Mindi gave up her seat as co-pilot and offered to let us experience it. I got to sit in the co-pilot seat for take-off which... on man... that's something I'll never ever ever ever ever forget!
 
 
at around 4:00 when it wasn't SCORCHING heat anymore, I took the kids to the park to play and then to Sonic to get something cold to drink. While I was at Sonic, Mindi called and invited us over to their house to grill out. So, I took the kids over in their swimsuits and my two kids and her three kids all played in the water together and her hubby grilled for us. I got to eat a yummy dinner and relax with a glass of chianti.
I seriously could not have asked for a better weekend!
 
I'm so blessed to have awesome friends."
 
When I reflect back on that time of my life it blows me away how blessed I was. There I was, a single mother with two young kids who had no clue on their own when Mother's Day was and I had no spouse to remind them... but, I had friends and family who wouldn't let the day go uncelebrated for me! The year before, it was my mom and dad who stepped up to the plate to honor me as a Mother in England.
 
Things change a lot in six years, but one thing that hasn't changed is how loved I feel. Now, I am married to a man who has made it his life's mission to spoil me rotten. Together, we've had two more babies, bringing our blended total to SIX KIDS!! And these days, my first two are now old enough to know when Mother's Day is without needing the reminder from dad.
 
So, the other day, Jason took me to the city to shop for myself. We had four of the six kids with us and my ONE rule (from Jason) was that I was not allowed to buy ANYTHING for them. I wasn't even allowed to look. That shopping trip was all about ME (he spoils me like that especially right after I've had a baby and feel yucky about the way I look and the ways my body has changed). While we were in a particular boutique that I just LOVE... my ten year old tells me he saw something that he wants to get me for Mother's Day but he doesn't know how much it is. I told him to ask the cashier how much it was (figuring it'd be WAY too expensive and he'd not get it) and that I was going to the store next door and he could walk over and meet me there after he asked. Well, I came out of the second store to see that he had a bag of something he'd purchased in the boutique... and so did his eight year old sister (who had no money on her which meant my sweet boy had loaned his sister money to buy mama something!) So I asked him how much the item was and he said $8 and change. Knowing he doesn't have much money, I told him he shouldn't have spent that much money on me... and nothing else was said. Much later, we were walking through Target and out of nowhere he comes up to me, puts his skinny little arm around me and says "mom, you are worth the $8 I spent on you." And now if that's not just the sweetest thing!
 
Here it is, Friday. Not even Mother's Day yet... and I still don't know what's in that little boutique bag... but already I feel like the luckiest mom ever.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips