Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Everything Has a Price

This blog entry could also be titled: Never Take "No" For An Answer!

Last week, I stopped in at a Salvation Army Thrift Store that I hadn't been to in a while.

No, wait, back up...

Last summer, I started to re-do our girls' room. I say "started" because it never got finished. One of these days I'll finish it and do a before and after, but some of the improvements I made included painting the walls, putting up a chair rail, bought new head boards, rearranged the room, got rid of an old falling apart particle board bookcase, accessorized with pictures for the walls, and hung a new chandelier light.

The books, that got taken off of the falling apart shelf... went into this HUGE pink tub.


It's so big, that by the time I had it full of books... it wouldn't budge! This picture doesn't even do justice for how huge this tub is. It's really deep. I asked my husband to carry it to the basement for me to get it out of the way until I could find a new shelf but he said it was absolutely too full of books and too heavy to try and get down the stairs. So, it has sat in the girls' room for nine solid months now... not budging. That's a full term pregnancy, people! It's huge! And in the way.

Until today.

Today, I finally bought a bookshelf to house all of these books.

This whole time, I've been on the lookout for the perfect shelf for a particular spot in the room and it had to meet some criteria. First of all, it had to be tall enough with enough shelves to house all of these books. Secondly, it had to fit into a spot right between the closet and the space where the door swings open into the room; so, it couldn't be too wide. And thirdly, it had to be REAL wood. no more pressed board particle crap. I didn't really care the shape of the wood because I totally planned on painting it anyway... but it had to be real... and sturdy. And then lastly, duh, it had to be a decent price.

I've looked everywhere! I've scouted yard sales, I've perused Craigslist, I've put out an "ISO" on Facebook yard sale pages. Nothing.

Ok now back to my opening sentence...

Last week, I stopped in at a Salvation Army Thrift Store that I hadn't been to in a while.

And I found THE PERFECT bookcase that I'd been looking for for nine months! It was tall enough. It was just the perfect width. It was real wood and very sturdy!

But it didn't have a price tag.

And this, I finally saw, is why:


Nooooooo!! I wanted that bookcase!!!

Must. Speak. To. Manager!

Well, the manager wasn't there and no amount of me pleading and batting my eyelashes was going to make the girl working there budge. She couldn't sell me the book case.

That was last Thursday.

Fast forward to today. I decided to stop back in on a whim and see if the manager was there today, and she was! I nicely told her that I had been looking forever for a bookcase and that I thought I had finally found one in her store but was disappointed to see that it wasn't for sale and would she PRETTY PLEASE consider selling it??? With sugar and a cherry on top??

So she says to me "oh I don't know. It houses all of our fabric." And, I kid you not there was like TWO pieces of fabric on the whole shelf. So then she says "I guess I could let it go for $15"

FIFTEEN DOLLARS?!?

SOLD!!!

But, I had to contain my excitement. Had to play it cool and act like ok, I gueeeeeess I'll pay $15 for it. Had to act like she wasn't practically just giving me a solid wood book case in excellent condition!

And now...

the book case is proudly sitting in my girls' room waiting for me to load it with books and get that eye sore of a huge pink tub outta there! After nine long months... we brought our baby home!


Never take no for an answer

Now, how to get the "NOT FOR SALE" off of there? Or should I leave it as a reminder that we didn't take no for an answer? We wanted something and went after it... and got it.

Tell me about a time in your life when YOU haven't taken no for an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips