Saturday, January 25, 2014

As Long As I'm Living, My Baby You'll Be

"Mommy?"

I was sitting at my desk.

"What baby?" (she's seven)

I turn to see her beautiful big blue eyes brimming with tears.

"Levi told me that his teacher calls our hallway the 'little kid hallway."

This was clearly upsetting her.

Me: "But it IS the little kid hallway. Kindergarten is on that hallway."

"But so is third grade"

She is only in second so third grade to her seems so much older.

"Yes, but they are still little kids too."

"Well his teacher calls their hallway the 'big kid hallway."

It is the fourth through sixth grades.

"Audrey, don't be in such a hurry to grow up."

This was enough to cause those large alligator tears to go cascading down her freckled cheeks.

Life is so hard when you're seven, sandwiched between both older and younger siblings; wanting so badly to be a "big girl" but still stuck on the little kid hallway.

She dramatically laid her head over on my shoulder while she sobbed and I rubbed her back, praying that time would slow down. Secretly wishing I could always keep her as my little kid, but watching her grow into a blossoming young lady and incredible older sister in front of my eyes.

and I showed her this picture taken what feels like yesterday to me.



"You want to be a big kid?"

"Yes!"

"Can you put a new trash bag in the trash can for me?"

This was a chore she'd never been asked to do because her little arms and legs can't reach the trash bags where they are kept up high. So she had to figure out a way to get it done.

I left the room to let her figure it out on her own. And sure enough... the trash can got a new clean trash bag in it.

My little "big" kid.

And all was better. The tears were gone, replaced with a confident smile.

But I've got news for her...

As long as I'm living... my BABY she'll be!



I linked this post up at Imparting Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips