Tuesday, February 1, 2011

English Paper Piecing



As promised...

Here are pictures of my current quilt in progress. Aaaaaand... it's my first quilt. Ever.

I'm English paper piecing.

English paper piecing is great in that you don't need a machine. You can take everything with you. I've worked on this quilt in the passenger seat of the car while my hubby is driving, in waiting rooms, at my boys' football practice, outside on the front porch while my babies played in the yard, etc.



I started this quilt last winter.

New readers to my blog don't know this, but last December my husband  was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of non hodgkins lymphoma (a blood cancer). I started this quilt as a way to keep myself busy while I was sitting with him in the hospital while he got chemo treatments. We live an hour and a half away from the hospital he was treated at and every two weeks we drove up and stayed for 5-6 days at the hospital. The certain types of chemo he was getting required him to stay in the hospital that whole time. And I stayed with him. (Thanks to awesome family and friends who watched our kids for us.)



This quilt was my way of staying busy. The plan was to be done with it by the time he was done getting chemo. Yeeeeeah... it's over a year later and I'm still not half done. I get burnt out and have to put it down every now and then which delays it getting done.



I came up with the design on my own. Lime green is the lymphoma awareness ribbon color. The part that I have done says "Beat It" in the top left hand corner... and in the bottom right cormer I'll have another heart with "Cure It". "Beat It, Cure It"  is the lymphoma awareness catch phrase.  And, the very bottom will be a repeat of the top with the green ribbons going across the top.



so anyway, It's still my work in progress. I decided to pull it out during this blizzard we are having and get some quilting done. Maybe I'll be done with it by this years Relay For Life. Hopefully

Oh yeah... and I'm happy to say...

my husband beat lymphoma!! March 26th will be one year cancer free. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips